Parent Category changes summary
- Policy re-open in February 2020 with new requirements
- 1000 people each year
- Further details available in November 2019
New policy requirements
- Sponsor income is the only means of qualifying. Settlement funds and guaranteed lifetime income removed
- Sponsor income requirements increased and pegged to New Zealand median income
- Sponsor must show they meet income criteria for 2 out of 3 years before the parent applies. Evidence through tax returns
- Tier 2 removed
- Sponsorship period aligned with New Zealand superannuation residency eligibility
New financial requirements
The new financial requirements for the Parent Resident Visa can only be met through the income of the sponsor and their partner.
Here is a comparison of the previous and the new financial requirements, based on a median salary of NZD $53,040.
Expected income levels for 2020
If your sponsorship is based on your personal income, you will need to earn before tax:
- NZD $106,080 to sponsor 1 parent
- NZD $159,120 to sponsor 2 parents.
If you are using both you and your partner’s income, you will need to earn between you:
- NZD $159,120 to sponsor 1 parent
- NZD $212,160 to sponsor 2 parents.